Law Student Interns at the Ventura County Public Defender’s Office are selected
based on their passion for public defense and demonstrated commitment to
excellence. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to PDIP@ventura.org. The cover letter should
convey why the applicant wants to clerk for the Ventura County Public Defender’s Office and why the office should select the applicant. If the applicant appears to be suited for the program, they will be called for a further interview. Law Student Internships are unpaid and carry no guarantee of future employment with the office.
Law Student Interns are encouraged to become “certified law clerks” pursuant to California Bar Association Rules Governing the Practical Training of Law Students, Rule 3.4 before the clerkship begins. Only certified clerks may appear on the record in case proceedings. The Ventura County Public Defender’s Office will assist qualified clerks to become certified.
Direct Applications to:
Our Intern Program is supervised by:
Ayala Benefraim, Chief Deputy
Damon Jenkins, Senior Deputy P.D.
Suggested Application Times
- Fall Post-Bar (for those taking a July bar exam) – March of the Preceding Year.
- Spring Post-Bar (for those taking a February bar exam) – September of the Preceding Year.
- Summer Clerkship for Rising Second and Third Year Law Students* – January of the same Year.
- Fall Clerkship for Second or Third Year Law Students – April of the Same Year.
- Spring Clerkship for Second or Third Year Law Students – October of the Same Year.
* Clerk will have completed one or two years of law school before beginning summer clerkship.